17 July 2020

Ancestry removes more matches...it's not the first time.

By now, most of you know that starting around August 1 (no definate time has been given), Ancestry will change their algorithm and removed all matches at 6 and 7cM unless you have a note on them or have them in a catagory or have emailed them.

I've been working hours on just getting my 7cMs in a group.  I have run into issues with the site stopping before it allows me to download all the matches in their running page.  If we had page numbers as I mentioned to them when they decided to drop those, this would be easier and go faster.  For example after working HOURs yesterday just on 7cMs, I think I only had a couple of hundred to go.  It took me 50 minutes of continually using the down arrow to get back to where I stopped.  After that the site froze again.

I also had a call last night from a friend who was VERY upset as she had 42 tests she manages ...AND as she is African American she needs thos lower centiMorgans for her research.  AND, she hasn't even begun with the matches who are in African.  Although this may seem too small, it has lead her to answers using theses centiMorgans form 6-7.

AND, I have found at least two-dozen matche at the 7cM range that appear not to match me any other way since I have Colonial Ancestors and a pedigree chart that is robust, using GPS (Genealogy Proof Standards).

So...why am I whining about all this?  I need you to know that you have a short amount of time to do a big job, along with thousands of other testers.

At least we have a couple of weeks.  In the past we didn't know how much time for some of their chantges.

SO...as I need to return to my matches list, I'm just going to post these blogs where you can read about what to do.


Have fun!  (I'm not!)
Emily

No comments: